Thursday, July 25, 2013

June 10 - Bunbeg to Largymore

June 10, 2013 Weds.
Surprisingly, the day started with clear blue skies again but windy.  I thought the advance clouds of the cold front had already arrived.  It was important to get the weather forecast straight today because I had planned to take a boat ride under the Slieve League at sunset and to drive up towards the top and hike there.  All of that required good conditions.  In retrospect, I should have gotten up a half hour earlier and not stopped at the B&B or the boat launch before going to the top.  It was hard to predict. 

This morning the staff were doing their best to be attentive, I suppose to make up for what happened last night.  I got set up in the basement living room while waiting for breakfast to be cooked, so that I could use my laptop (close to the wifi source).  I managed to get out at 9:45 (the earliest yet), and went straight towards the south Donegal coast, which means lots of zigging and sagging through the mountains.  But distances are short and it’s scenic.  But the speed limit signs are crazy.  Frequently you see 100 km dropping to 50 km outside a town, but today there was a 100 km sign as I was going over a straight flat bridge (fair enough), but then the road immediately narrowed, and started winding through the mountains.  There’s no way anyone could or should be going that speed under such conditions.

I stopped in Ardara to look for woolens.  I wasn’t planning to spend much time, but, as expeditiously as I could, cased four shops (this is a town known for Donegal woolens), got a couple of mohair scarves, a calendar for next year, and in the last shop found a pair of dark green herringbone trousers that fit except for the length.  At this place, they not only do adjustments for free, but will weave and tailor you a whole garment out of the pattern you choose for the same price and mail it to you.  I saw the weaver plying the loom in the back room.  The tailor was excellent; she made notes not just about taking in but also adding material under the arm… fairly complex tailoring.  I ordered a waist coat (vest) to match the trousers.  Who knew I was going to do this today?  Clearly, it was a good place, as there was a tour bus outside when I arrived (and when I left..same one).


Once at the south Donegal coast road, heading west in the direction of the cliffs, I saw my B&B, so thought I’d just go in and drop my bags, figuring it wouldn’t take that long.  Two scones, butter and jam (lunch), some chitchat, discussion about routes later, and I was off, taking a nice diversion down the one lane coast road.  This coast road was so spectacular because it was both coastal and mountainous at the same time.  I met a few cars coming the other way full speed, but at this point,  I’d learned what to do.. look for where to duck, pull over, wait.  It was easy to see cars coming from some distance on this road.  I took some shots here and there of the farms built on the hillsides of the rugged coastline. 




.  
The sun was still out, as I raced along the river, above, to see Paddy Byrne at the Teelin boat ramp.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t there at 2:45.  His normal departure schedule was every two hours starting at 10 am, so at this point, he was out until 4.  What to do?  Clearly I wasn’t going to hang there till then, and unfortunately, the clouds had just rolled in, getting windier.  So I went to the TeeLin café/tourist cottage at the bottom of the climb up to the Slieve League parking lots, looked around, introduced myself to Paddy Clarke (we’d corresponded before), and headed up the mountain.  I’d been rather nervous about the prospect of driving this road, since it was barely 2 track up to the first parking lot and then Google Map’s Street View didn’t go any further.  That told me that they didn’t trust their vehicle to go up the narrow road with sheer cliffs to the second parking lot.  So, I looked it up on Google Earth, and on satellite image the road was clearly narrower, more winding, and closer to the cliffs.  Paddy said they’d widened the road a few years ago, and I’d gotten more opinion from one of the other tourists on the Derry walking tour a few days before that he’d done it.  So I figured I’d go for it, having been on a lot of single tracks in the last few days, but also knowing I probably could not turn back once committed to drive past the first parking lot.  Once I opened the sheep gate to the rest of the road, someone was nice enough to close it after me.  Thankfully, it turned out that this road was not a true single track, and mostly the cliffs were not sheer off the side of the road.   I met only a few cars going up, but there was no problem navigating around them. 

At the top parking lot, it was overcast and the winds were gale force so photography was going to be suboptimal and a challenge.  The guy in the Irish ice cream truck (a little yellow truck in the video of Slieve League Descent, below) was nice to chat with.  I’d described my dilemma about whether to go on the boat trip, how I’d contacted Paddy Byrne, the uncertainty about the weather, etc, whereby he told me to go closer to the edge of the cliff where I could see Paddy Byrne in his boat down in the water.  It was almost like a speck in the ocean, from almost 2,000 feet up but I could see the boat pitching about once a second, and realized I was lucky not to be in that boat.  The wind was so fierce, even holding my camera on my tripod on solid ground, there was some vibration.  Since everybody else was doing it, I headed up the mountain.  There were a couple dozen folks on their way up or down.  I don’t know how far I climbed in altitude, but hundreds of feet at least.  One German family recognized me from yesterday .. “didn’t we see you at Horn Head?”   There were lots of Germans, French, Italians, and Americans around.   Using the tripod, I took some shots of myself with Slieve League cliffs in the background, then went up higher, did a panorama. Here are a few of the many photos I shot up there. Isn't it beautiful? Next time, I'll allow more time for hiking. There is a part of the five hour hike along the top of the long mountain ridge that is called One Man's Pass, which is so narrow, only one person can walk on it, and there is a very steep drop off on both sides.









Because I didn’t want to be descending from the mountain in the rain, went back down as soon as I could. My car is parked on the edge at the bottom of the path, round the bend to the left in this photo.

I did take the time to enjoy some of the nice man’s Irish ice cream, and the “chocolate chip” was absolutely devine!  It was chocolate with chocolate chips with a hint of mint. 

I then drove down the mountain, but first set up my smaller, “concert” camera above the steering wheel to shoot a dashcam.  The ice cream guy said he knew of YouTube videos going up the mountain, but not coming down.  It’s actually more dramatic going down.  You can see how far you can fall!  As it turned out the rain started during my descent as seen on the windshield, though I wasn’t really focusing on that.  There were sheep, hikers, and the prospect of meeting cars head on to focus on.



After coming down Slieve League, since there were still a few hours before sunset, I headed to GlenColmCille, a tiny village near the southwest coast of Donegal.  It was raining now, as I went through the Folk museum, which showed how the area went from the middle ages to the modern era in a few short decades, after about 1960, thanks to the local priest.  It was stunning to realize how much of Ireland lacked modern utilities like electricity and hot and cold running water until just a few decades ago.  On my way across and back from GlenColmCille (pronounced Glen Colm Kill), I noticed that there were people in the fields who had driven there, and it looked to me as if they were mining the peat.  The earth was clearly partially dug and dislodged by farm equipment.  I’d heard that peat used to be burned for heat.  It would make sense that there would be peat in this area, being a long valley between the Slieve League mountains and the uplands to the north.  I’m sure this also was a tradition (peat mining) in this area.  But not a great thing to realize that the peat, wonderfully rich soil for growing things, is mined for purpose of burning it, especially since burning peat adds to the CO2 in the atmosphere.  Getting back towards the area of my B&B in Largymore near Kilcar it was hard to find a place to eat!  I’d been warned about this by my B&B hostess.  Who knew?  You can’t eat out on Sunday night.  Even pubs were closed.  Eventually, I found a really nice meal of “3 fowl” at Kitty Kelly’s (named after an old warlord).  On the way in, prominent on the walls, were framed photos of Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker.  They told me that this is a favorite haunt of theirs and they have a place nearby, Kilcar area.  Interesting.  And since one of my friends lives a few doors down from them below Greenwich Village, I know two places they live.  Tonight’s B&B is new, comfortable, well appointed, with a nice hostess.  Since she had been full up the night before, and this night I was her only guest, she gave me quite a bit of attention.  The house also has a fantastic view of the coast from up high.  On a clear day, one can see across the Donegal bay, where I’ll drive tomorrow (to Sligo) on my way back to Dublin.


No comments:

Post a Comment